Monday 30 December 2013

How I Care For My Hair



Being an Actress my hair is constantly being coloured, blowdryed, teased, back combed, curled and straightened sometimes a culmination of all this in one day! Thankfully I have worked with some incredible hairdressers/ stylists who have been able to give me industry tips along the way to ensure my hair is in good condition to keep styling.

I have had quite a few people over the last few months ask me what I do to keep my hair healthy so I thought I would share with you what I do and what products I use to keep my hair gleaming.

Regularly Cut your Tresses!

Rapunzel its time to cut your hair!! I have a few girl friends of mine who hate getting their hair cut because they love their long hair but If you regularly get your hair chopped (try not to leave it more than 8 weeks) it prevents your hair from getting dead and split ends which in turn makes your hair grow long and beautiful. I get my hair cut every 4 - 6 weeks as I have fine hair that splits easy. 

 Ammonia, PPD & Resorcinol Free Hair Dye 

to put less stress on your hair when changing colour. I only allow Clean Color Technology when my hair is being coloured. Brands like Zen Therapy & Original Mineral deliver professional grade organic based systems. Henna is also a great option for colouring hair. 
ACCORDING TO ORIGINAL MINERAL:
PPD
Paraphenylenediamine is a chemical substance that is widely and traditionally used as a permanent hair dye. People who are highly allergic to PPD have not been able to dye their hair with traditional hair color.
  • Known as a possible carcinogen
  • Allergies to PPD are common and reactions include dermatitis, reddening and swelling of the scalp and face.
  • In some severe allergy cases the eyelids may completely close and can result in contact urticaria and anaphylaxis.

RESORCINOL

Used as a coloring agent and is also commonly found in topical acne treatments.
  • Suspected to be an endocrine toxicity hazard
  • Suspected to be a human immune system toxicant
  • Suspected to be toxic to wildlife and the environment

AMMONIA

A chemical that swells the hair cuticle so that color can be absorbed all the way through the hair.
  • Unpleasant odor
  • Many people become allergic due to exposure and suffer from itchy scalps and watery/red eyes while getting their hair colored.
Use a Paddle Brush for Frizz Free Hair. The Aveda Paddle Brush is classic. Brush your hair throughout the day to distribute the natural oils from your scalp all the way down through your hair. 

I have to wash my hair just about every day and I have 2 Natural Shampoo's that I alternate between. The first one is a cleansing shampoo to remove excess oil and product - Aveda Shampure Shampoo and a volumizing shampoo O&M Fine Intellect. Both Aveda and O&M have amazing products depending on your hair type.
I also condition my hair every time after I shampoo. Be sure to only condition mid to end lengths of your hair so you don't get an oily head of hair. My Favourite Color Conserving Conditioner is Original Mineral O&M Hydrate and Conquer Conditioner.

My hair is so fine and is always Knotty :( but I have found that detangling spray like O&M Know Knott Detangler works wonders. This gorgeous product has cold pressed organic argan and macadamia oils that leave my hair glossy and knot free.

Invest in a hydrating serum to create a barrier from the elements and when heat styling always use a heat protectant like Aveda Damage Remedy or Color Conserve Daily Hair Repair



 Use a treatment/ mask once a week to nourish your hair. I love using Organic Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil - the same one that's in my pantry to cook with haha! I just decant some into a dispenser and I also use it as a body oil and make up remover. COCONUT OIL is a MUST HAVE!


*PLEASE NOTE: Before you use any of the above hair care products - Read the labels, use only as they direct and Consult with your Doctor First. I am just sharing products that have personally worked for me. If you are not able to use or take these products due to allergies or any other reasons, please DO NOT. 
I have not been endorsed or paid by anyone to promote these products, I am simply sharing how I care for my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment